February 20, 2007

Are difficulties (so) important for success in Life?

Just thought of writing this article four days back but had a very busy schedule.So let me go to the past tense and try to recollect my thoughts and put them in this post.

Dated 16th February,2007: It was just a normal working day and guess what "I walked all the way from Koramangala to my house in Indiranagar(which is around 15KM) and this where I tried to recollect some memorable things in my life that have changed my professional and personal life." and this post was born.So here it goes:

Lesson 1:
It was very difficult getting a good job after passing out in the year 2001.Yes,dot com bust and Y2K were responsible for this and to some extent even I was responsible!!! Imagine a situation where a middle class boy living in Mumbai is not getting a job even after doing his so called (computer) engineering and damn I finally got a job where I was getting paid mere 4000 bucks(there is nothing to hide here).It was in 2003 when I decided to quit my job and move to Bangalore, which was one of the biggest risks in my life and now I feel my life has traveled a full circle.
Learning:
I never thought of having any kind of entrepreneurial skills but this incident made me realize that I can take risks which is in the genes of Entrepreneurs.And yes,this blog has been my friend, philosopher and guide in this journey.Remember "The biggest risk in life is not taking one".
Did you know "N R Murthy was refused a job in Wipro before he started Infosys"

Lesson 2:
This incident would rather seem funny to you but I taken guts to write the truth.The same day,I got a call from Citibank officer for a credit card and he asked my Driving License as a proof(since,every person knows how to drive,isn't it?).I replied in negation and believe me,he was shocked after hearing this.But this is a truth which I have to accept.I still have to learn driving a car or a bike,but I don't regret this since,it opens a world of opportunities for me.
Learning:
I like going by bus and also by auto rickshaws since, I get to know more about a common man's thinking(though I am also one of them smile).You would really know your worth from these people and they are your best teachers.This in turn helps in understanding consumer needs and also helps you building a network which you might have never thought about biggrin. I would be learning driving very soon but even after learning it,would prefer the other mode of transport since,"Business is all about relations,no matter with whom you are trying to get connected to".
Did you know "N R Murthy of Infosys also doesnt have a driving license and he had publicily announced on TV" and he was never afraid what people would think about it.

Lesson 3:
Be it my job,my blog or playing cricket,I do all the things with full enthusiasm and with a winning attitude.I have one thing in mind "I want to win(but by fair means)".I have lots of heroes(motivators) from different fields of life eg Sachin Tendulkar from cricket,Sunil Mittal of Bharti as an entrepreneur,Guy Kawasaki as a blogger/VC/entrepreneur but at the end of the day,it is me who has to perform.
Learning:
Enthusiasm is very important for your success.Do everything with a full heart and good results would follow soon.You need to be motivated to achieve something , but the first person with whom you should be motivated is yourself(ie. you need to be self motivated).If you are not motivated, no one else can be a source of motivation for you.
Did you know "Gururaj Desh Deshpande failed in his first venture but he stood up tall and started his next big successful venture Sycamore Networks"

Lesson 4:
Everyday,when I look at myself , I feel there are lots of improvements that I need to make and I need to work(a bit harder), in order to achieve my goals.I need to fight against my weaknesses,capture my dreams,work for other's betterment etc. Improvement is a continual process and would continue until the end of my life.I never thought that I would reach this stage(though I have a long way to go to achieve my dreams) but continuous improvement has helped me achieve it.
Learning:
Success is a journey and not a destination.Take small steps towards improvement and it would lead to a larger improvement(over a period of time).Try to celebrate your achievements but never be satisfied with them and learn from your failures.
Have a look at what Mr Laxmi Mittal has to say "He has not under achieved in life but there are more things that he wants to achieve" and this is what makes a successful person

Hope this post was motivating enough for you and all the best for achieving your dreams.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Feb 20, 2007, 10:31:00 AM , Blogger Manish Panchmatia said...

First time I am commenting on your blog.

Yes, the most personal thing is the most universal. I feel many things are common between your life story, struggles and mine.

Anyway….

I want to write something else relevant to your thoughts about risk, entrepreneurship and a common man. I hope it will not be boring. When we talk about risk, we always talk about big industrialists. Here I would like to quote an incident in a life of a bagger family from the book ‘wise and otherwise’ by Sudha Murthy.

A bagger from Mumbai took risk, after watching 26 Jan earth quack news at Kutch, Gujarat to migrate there. At Kutch, he got job. both husband and wife started earning Rs. 100 per day each. He got a tent to stay, variety of biscuits for his kids. And most important healthy pollution free air and lots of Bisleri bottles for healthy drinking waters.

So many has gut, intuition to identify opportunities like him. Many people are enthu. Many people are dissatisfied with their present achievements and working hard for more. And many people have good network of people. However who has all these characteristics, they are successful. Right?

Regards,

From
Manish
www.geocities.com/panchmatia_manish

 
At Feb 20, 2007, 11:09:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Himanshu

Good to read your post about your life story up to now with learning part from each point you have mentioned.
Yes, I agree there is a universal power who always teaches us the lessons about “who we are” and “what we should”.
I think by taking that risk to come to Banglore for job, it was indication from that “universal power” that always supports everybody for what they are here on the earth. And until we don’t walk on that way, things happens which directly or indirectly will lead you to go to that way which is decided for you.

Also “self motivation” is really good thing I have always noticed in you.

Also, one other thing, there were so many people like you came in 2000-2003, 2004 for job hunting here in software profession, I have heard about seniors, juniors, class-mates, directly-indirectly friends who came at Banglore exactly like you, but you choose to continue the core part from that risk. Everyone can’t do that. So, you are extra in terms of that.

Best luck, for all your dreams become true.:-)

Regards,
Hiral

 
At Feb 20, 2007, 11:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing i forgot to mention here, relevent to your post:

Also, everything is learning. There is nothing like “hard work” that I learn up to now from my life experiences.

Either it is learn computer, or learn driving, or learn education & pass in exams, learn cooking, learn puncutality, learn disciplin.

Everywhere we do concentration, focus, mistakes and improvement.

Hiral

 
At Feb 21, 2007, 11:33:00 PM , Blogger Morpheous said...

good work man.Really cool

 
At Feb 22, 2007, 12:37:00 AM , Blogger Himanshu Sheth said...

Hi Manish,
Very nice thoughts.I really liked your comparison and I do agree to your point that only Entrepreneurs are the risk takers in life ;-)

My point was to stress that "Normal people turn Entrepreneur because they take risks".Even the beggar is an Entrepreneur in this own sweet way and in this way "Every person on this earth is an Entrepreneur in this own way ;-)"

But there are few people like great NRNM who reach this stage.

Thanks for commenting on my blog and waiting for you to come again ;-)

-Himanshu

 
At Feb 22, 2007, 1:41:00 AM , Blogger Nidhi Modi said...

I would like to share few lines with you all:

"Life always holds difficulties and challenges for each one of us and our success in life highly depends on how we respond to them."

Difficulties come not to obstruct but to instruct....


Nidhi

 
At Feb 22, 2007, 2:18:00 AM , Blogger Himanshu Sheth said...

Hi Hiral,
Thats a good thought that you have put "Learning is the key and learning is for life time....The day you stop learning it will be the end of life"

-Himanshu

 
At Feb 22, 2007, 2:22:00 AM , Blogger Himanshu Sheth said...

Hey Nidhi,
Definitely difficulties comes to instruct us and not to obstruct us.Difficulties have thought everyone of us and will do so in future.

If difficulties are not there,peoplpe cannot grow!!!

-Himanshu

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home